Thursday, September 11, 2008

Night Creams?

When I was in school studying to be an Aesthetician, we discussed night creams and how they are essential to the skin, however many people have different beliefs about this. Some people believe we should let our skin "breathe." This means at night cleanse, tone, and cancel the moisturizer. Well, in school I was told this is total BS! Your skin needs a layer of protection to prevent moisture evaporating to the environment. Loss of water in the skin leads to lines and wrinkles. Therefore, a moisturizer is your barrier that keeps that water inside the skin preventing aging. Most companies make night creams that are usually heavier and help the skin repair itself throughout the night while you sleep.

Well I never second guessed this theory until now. I have recently gotten into using Dr. Hauschka's products. I really like them and love how they use all natural ingredients, and essential oils in their products. This company does not believe in night creams. They believe the skin is very "smart" and can repair itself on its own. They think heavy night creams and creams with artificial ingredients prevent the skin from breathing, and interfere with the skin's natural functions.
Dr. Hauschka developed a product called Rhythmic Night Conditioner. It's consistency is like a toner. It is a clear liquid with little to no scent. This product was developed to help encourage skin cell renewal, calm oil production and blemishes, and support elasticity. Although you only use this product for a 28 day cycle a few times a year, the package instructs you to do a cycle for each decade you have been alive. In other words, if you are 30, you would use Rhythmic Night conditioner 3 times a year.
Intrigued by this, I am giving it a try. I have dry skin and live in Connecticut. As you know its September and the weather hasn't changed yet. I am very curious to see how my skin will react. I have always used night creams and love to put on a luxurious cream on my face. So far I am 5 days in my cycle. My skin feels good and I think applying the toner and the conditioner helps me feel like I am still putting some moisture into my skin. One night I felt some tightness but it went away after an hour or so. I am really going to need to pay close attention to my frown lines. If they get any worse I am going right back to my night creams!

No comments: